Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

My cat just ate about 1 measuring teaspoon of decon mouse ...

My cat just ate about 1 measuring teaspoon of decon mouse poison. Will he die? What can I do? He weighs about 9 lbs.

If he just ate it you will need to get him to vomit that up. Give him either 2 tbsp of table salt by mouth or 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide by mouth now. Within 30 minutes he should vomit and watch to make sure you see it in the vomit. If you're not comfortable doing this get to your vet asap as time is important in toxicity cases. They will most likely put him on an antidote for rat poison as well, Vitamin K1. Time is of the essence.

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Dr Debbie, I might have done worse, I was so scared I misread the directions and mixed the salt w/the peroxide, I couldn't get more than maybe 1/12 tablesppons down him but he did throw up everything, it looks liek a bit more than 1 measuring teaspoon of Decon, what next. I will take him to the vet if I have to but it will run $100. and I just don't have it and it's only 7:30 here I don't know if the vet is open. He was a neutered stray that came by one day 1 1/2 years ago

You did great. I would wait until the vet opens this morning and get the Vitamin K1 shot and capsules to take at home. Just be there when they open.

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
going now
Good luck. Hope all is well.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Just got bac from a vet ER room, she said it was good to get him to throw up, as it is sometimes difficult w/cats. I am to give him Vit K in 2 doses AM and PM she gave himn a shot. Then 3 days after last dose I am to take him for a PT and a PTT to check coagulation

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for your prompt reply Dr. Debbie. I appreciate it and I'm sure Tiger does too, although the poor thing probably doesn't know what's going on.

Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX yours,
Summer Dunbar

Great! I'm so glad it worked out. Time is so important in toxicity cases. Tell Tiger to stay out of trouble!

Dr. Debbie