Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has a wound that will not heal. It is growing ...

My cat has a wound that will not heal. It is growing larger and the vet has ruled out cancer, (a worm being in it) and gave me medication to dry it thinking it might be a fistula. None of this worked.
The wound is located under her chin and throat. It is approx 1" long and .75" wide.   The wound drains and will get a very large scab on it and she scratches the scab off. It does not seem to bother her and she does not appear the least bit sick.
This has been going on for about 1 year. I have tried "Cut Heal", Neosporine Ointment and Furacine.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

How ol is you cat?

has she taken any oral antibiotics?

if so, which ones and for how long?

is she eating?

indoor kitty?

vaccinated?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She is about 4 and she lives indoors but I let her out a few hours a day about 4 times a week. She has had her rabies shots and is not declawed or spayed. The medicine that she was prescribed was Docycycline. She was on it for 3 weeks in March and while she was on it the wound appeared to dry a LITTLE BIT, but it did not heal.

I have three other cats and none of them have any wounds or problems. The vet said that she would have to do exploratory surgery if the medicine did not work. I am hoping that it does not come to that.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

Please stand by while I type detailed answer.

About how large is the wound?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
----------
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
l-----------l
   l           l
   l-----------l

See above, but the wound is tapered on the ends
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

This can be caused by a dental issue. An abscessed tooth or root in the gum or a frature to a tooth. Any of these would send bacteria into her system an cause a wound to stay open.

She may also have a weakened immune system due to a kitty disease.

Any infection must be treated by a broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clindamycin and for enough time to distroy all bacterium. Otherwise it will reflourish (stronger than ever) and reinfect her soon after the meds are stopped. Doxy is not the proper script for such an established infection.

In the meantime open a Vitamin E capsule twice a day and pain the lesion with it. Apply almost hot compresses to bring the infection to the surface and then neosporen all three times a day.

To boost her immune system add a quarter teaspoon of colloidal silver to her water daily. It is safe for the other cats to drink it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver

Please let me know how she is doing. If you have more questions, I will always be here for you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.