NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

my cat has a open wound that wont heal

hit open wound won't heal and the medicine won't stick to his open cut.
Does it look like a round hole with mucous in it?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: yes
Its quite possible your cat has a parasite called a cuterebra worm also sometimes called wolves or warbles. This is a fly larva that is under the skin. It needs vet removal as the worm can cause a toxic reaction if it gets crushed while its being removed.
You can read about this parasite here
I've seen larger lumps and bigger openings than the article describes though.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the cat was run over and the wound is from that. can the parasite get in there this fast. he just had the accident and I am just fostering him until he is better. but when the medicine wouldn't stick i thought you might help me with an idea of how to heal him faster if the medicine won't stick. maybe i should just contact the person i am fostering him for and see what he says about the medicine not sticking.
Thats why I asked what the wound looked like. Thanks for the extra info.
What I'd do with an injury like that from a car hit is use a warm damp compress on the spot to help draw infection, then clean with betadine iodine solution or 3% hydrogen peroxide, then glop on the antibiotic ointment in a thick layer.
Sometimes warming it a little makes it spread on a wound more easily.