Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is having what looks like stomach spasms. He ...

My cat is having what looks like stomach spasms. He won''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''t drink or eat.??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Hi Estelle,

How old is he?

how long does he have spasms?Please describe!

what and when did he eat last?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Felix is about 12 yrs and hasn't been eating or drinking for about 2 weeks that I know of...he is an indoor cat but does go outside sometimes. He is a very finicky eater, so it is doubtful he would have eaten anything outside. I have a mobile vet, sho has checked for any blockages and he had a glandular infection for which I gave him a pill and liq antibotic about 3 weeks ago. The vet says that one of his kidneys is slightly enlarged. His infection is gone. His eyes look good. When he has these spasms, it looks like his whole body convulses. He goes to the litter box and must feel like he has to go, but there is nothing. I have tried to force some whater or tuna water but no go!Estelle
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear Estelle,

This can be a condition called hyperestesia.Authorities think is it caused by a nerve that makes the cat supersensitive or an allergic reaction.

I printed the following for you:

Treatment of cats affected with hyperesthesia syndrome is directed at the underlying disease, if determined, and the signs presented by the affected cat. Symptomatic treatment may include anti-seizure medications, corticosteroids, or anti-anxiety agents. Often these medications are tried therapeutically in series (one after the other) to determine which drug works best for the specific patient. Acupuncture has also been used for some affected cats.

You can read about it here:SOURCE:

This ailment can be caused by stress, allergies, hormonal imbalences, etc. Many DVM's have never even heard of it but it does exist. It is treated by first removing the allergin and sometimes with tranquilizers.

Please read the info and then Iwill be happy to further discuss it further.

It is also possible that your baby can be having small seizures. It is best to discontinue that new food as he may be allergic to it. If it stlll continues you will need to have some more bloodwork done to see if any of his values are off. .Your vet can then discuss treatment options with you.

Right now we MUST get Felix eating or he will damage his liver.

Cats do not have whims like people. Whenever they stop eating they are either ill or in pain. If his blood work was unremarkable and he has no other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, constipation, infection, etc then there is something going on that is difficult to ascertain - but it exists nevertheless. Sometimes a cat can have an abscessed tooth or root that is in the gum.They can ingest a piece of plastic that in not perceivable in an xray. They can be mildly dehydrated or have a metabolic or organic imbalance that is too slight to read on a test. He may also feel nauseated.

If your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Please let me know if you still have questions. I will always be here for you and Felix.

Very sincerely,

Very sincerely,