Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer

how to get a stray cat to come out from under your house ...

Customer Question

how to get a stray cat to come out from under your house and trust you?
we have had 2 cats have babys under our house and we think that the cats have left them there there are 2 kittens and i would like for them to trust me and i see them outside but when i go out there they run outside the house automatically. how would i get them to go out side the house?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
Do you offer or leave down food for them? Are there other pets in the yard area where they are at?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Animal Eyes's Post: yes. i have been leaving food for them for the past week. and no we dont have any other pets around them at all. its a momma and a daddy then 2 little kittens. and the cats are wild i think but the kittens are little so they are not wild i dont think but i have one kitty that will let me come about 4 feet by her then she runs but i'm scared that if i get to close to her the mamma and daddy will attack me. and they eat the food to. i leave them salmon and tuna. so they are eating good. but my mom is worried about the mamma or daddy biting me but how do get them to trust me? and to come out to me?
Ok thanks for the info. Food is one of the great pacifiers so putting food out for them will be the best way to try. If you put food out do it at certain times, this will get them used to a certain feeding time. They will expect the food then and be more likely to come a little closer than if they had food out all of the time. You shouldn't try to touch the adults or the kittens, they may try to bite you if you get too close. If they do approach it has to be on their terms. They may never trust you but they might tolerate you. If they have been strays for most of their lives they most likely haven't been treated very well and trust isn't going to be something that will come easily for them. Only time will tell how they respond to you, patience is a must.