Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

why does my cats urine smell like fish

Customer Question

my cats urine always smells like fish even when i dont give her any type of food with fish in it.And its really strong also
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi Snoopy,

Are there any other symptoms at all?
Does she eat and drink okay?
How long has this been going on and how old is she?
Any discharge at all?
Can you pinch up her skin between the shoulderblades and tell me if it snaps back or sort of sinks back into place?

Standing by to help...
Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: No their isnt any ohter symptoms she eats fine but she really dont drink the water i give and i had jus got her from a friend like a month ago and its been like that since.And she is like 1 yr i belive or maybe a little younger, n their no discharge and her skin sinks back when i pinch it...n thank you for answering my question..
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi Again,

Is she on a dry food only diet?
Do you notice any extra digging around in the litter box, extra trips, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure to give you the best possible answer...

Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: well i give her both like one day crunchies n then another day can food..ummm no, no digging around but she does stand when she urines..she doesn't squat..
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

Sounds like your girl has a bit of a bacterial urinary infection going on, combined with a little dehydration. If your vet can take her in today that would be great so he could get her hydrated while she is there. If she is acting okay and eating and urinating, this can wait until Monday, but she should be seen by a vet to confirm the bacteria that is causing this in her urine and antibiotics prescribed.

I think what you are smelling has nothing to do with her food, and everything to do with the infection combined with a little dehydration making the urine more concentrated. The standing could indicate she hurts a little when she urinates, just like humans it can give a burning feeling.

To hydrate her give her canned food daily, even if it is just a blob of it in conjunction with her normal dry food. Aim for ash content of 3% or less in the canned food. Try tuna juice if she will not eat the canned food. You can also put a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice in her water to slow the infection, but it will not cure it.

If she becomes lethargic, stops eating or starts hiding, this becomes more of an emergency and she should be seen right away. Sometimes stress can trigger a urinary infection as well as diet, so it makes sense that this coincided with her arrival in your home. Your vet may recommend a change in her diet to prevent it from recurring. I like the Purina One Special Care and have had great luck with it.

I hope this helps you!

Warm Wishes,
Reani