Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

why is my cat leaking clear fluid

Customer Question

for the last few days my cat who is 16, has been "leaking" a clear fluid that seems to be coming from her behind, i think. what do you think this is? i first noticed a trail of the fluid in spots from the litter box, then a concentrated spot on my comforter that seems to have increased to once a day now on the comforter.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Is your cat spayed?

Is she eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally as far as you can tell?

Does she seem uncomfortable at all?

Does the fluid seem to have a particular odor?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: she is spayed, seems to be eating, but seemed constipated yesterday, then finally went to the bathroom. i caught her, not in the litterbox trying to squat to go to the bathroom, she usually uses litterbox. she has been on thyroid pills since last september, for overactive thyroid. fluid does not have an odor. shes always tried to wake me up constantly early in the morning since before she was diagnosed with thyroid, but rwecently is doing it even moreso. she is very vocal to begin with, but i noticed lately she does this deep growling kind of thing when she is alone in a room, but when you enter the room she stops. I know, that must sound weird.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, Kim, and thanks for your additional information.

No, what you describe doesn't sound weird at all. In general, older cats can suffer from a sort of disorientation or dementia, and go into a room alone, then start crying really weirdly, until you come to 'get' her. She may feel alone, lost, and also older cats can develop diminished hearing and they will cry a really deep type of cry like you describe, to 'test' their voice and see if it's really coming out of them, because they don't recognize the sounds they hear.

Hyperthyroidism also has 'calling' as a symptom, especially at night.

If she was constipated recently, she may be suffering an intestinal problem, so a vet visit and possible bloodwork and a fecal analysis will reveal more information so she can be diagnosed and treated for her current problem.

I hope she'll be fine!

Cher