Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cats white fur is turning bright yellow. She has

Customer Question

My cat's white fur is turning bright yellow. She has not been sick to my knowledge, but is pregnant and does have a scratch on her back.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Do you know how she got the scratch? Is it open, oozing, bleeding, or is pus coming out of it? If not, is it scabbed over and healing? Does she scratch, lick or bother it at all?

How far along in her pregnancy is she?

Is she eating, drinking, eliminating and acting normally?

Look at the tips of her ears, her gums, and her nose, and if all these are normally pink (the skin), please tell me if they also appear yellow, at this time.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am assuming that she got the scratch about the same time she got pregnant :) It is healed almost completely, but still has no hair on it. No, it doesn't bother her, she takes no notice of it at all.

She's about 2 months into the pregnancy, with no changes except that she is moodier with our other cat and doesn't like to be picked up.

She's doing all of the things she normally does, except for the moodiness. She also tends to isolate herself (from the other cat, probably, she did this with her 1st litter as well.)

Her eyes, skin, and gums all look normal. I thought of jaundice, but there are no other symptoms. She hasn't been sick, vomitting, lethargic, or anything.

Since I posted the question, i did explore in my sons room where she spends a lot of time on his desk. The kids have yellow clay on his desk, and I'm wondering if this could be our culprit :) I don't know if clay would discolor her hair like this (almost as if someone marked on her with a bright yellow highlighter or she had lay in urine), but the yellow is only on her front and hind legs, lightly on her belly, nad there is a spot forming now on her head, where she has cleaned herself with her front paws. I tried to wipe it of one paw, but she had none of that, so I instructed my son to clean the desk.

Sounds silly, I know, and I was in a vet office for years, have never seen anything like it!!!
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information.

I'm glad she doesn't have any signs of jaundice, and the skin would turn yellow, not the fur, but I had to ask re: her ear tips, gums, etc. : )

My next suggestion was going to be, she got into something or rubbed on something yellow, so I do agree with you that it sounds like she got her fur stained yellow from the clay on your son's desk. If she likes to lay there, and it's on her paws/legs, it makes sense that the spot is appearing on her head now, after cleaning herself.

I wouldn't recommend upsetting her, but I'd feel better if you were able to wipe SOME of it off her paws so she doesn't ingest any. I'm assuming the clay is marked non-toxic? Try using unscented alcohol-free baby wipes.

If she's about 2 months along, she'll be ready to deliver very soon! Are you prepared? If you worked for a vet, I'm sure you know what to expect, but if you need any further help, please let me know. Also, I wish her a very successful delivery and beautiful kittens!