Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Why does my cat rub his butt on the carpet

I have 3 cat's and 2 I have seen rubbing there butts along the carpet like a dog does.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Are your cats male or female? Fixed? What are their ages?

Do they seem to be licking their hind ends a lot, also?

Are they eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

Do your cats go outside?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: Are your cats male or female? I have 2 male and on female

Fixed? All of them are fixed the 2 youngest were fixed as soon as they were old enough.

What are their ages? Merlin is at the vets best guess 11, Marmaduke and Auroura are 4 year old siblings.

Do they seem to be licking their hind ends a lot, also? I haven't noticed anything to the excess.

Are they eating, drinking and eliminating as usual? Yes they eat drink and potty and sleep as is there life, unless they can one of there humans into getting there favorite toy out to destroy.

Do your cats go outside? No my cat's are indoor cat's, they get supplemts for the grass they don't get tho.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your additional information.

Rubbing their butts on the floor can signify an anal gland problem or intestinal parasites, which make their anal area itchy. If you see any small white particles that look like uncooked white rice in your cats' stools and/or around their anuses, these are tapeworm segments, which are gotten from ingesting infected fleas. If you don't see any parasites in your cat's feces or on their anal areas, there could be a microscopic type, which can only be detected by the vet, through a fecal analysis.

The anal glands are located under the skin, on either side of the anus. It contains a fluid which is released during each b.m. If the fluid is not released as it should be, the anal area can become swollen and painful, and the fluid can become impacted, thickened and/or infected. The vet would have to empty or 'express' the anal glands for your cats, to relieve the discomfort.

I hope your cats are feeling more comfortable once they're diagnosed and treated.

If your carpet needs cleaning, in the areas they're 'scooting', use an enzymatic cleaner for pet stains/odors, to completely remove any 'residue' they may have left:

Most of these are also available in major pet supply stores.

I hope all will be well.