Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

We have a 10-week old kitten whose breathing sounds rattly.

We have a 10-week old kitten whose breathing sounds rattly. We typically only hear it when he's purring. He is currently taking an antibiotic, and may have a small parasite living in him, based on a tiny puncture hole our vet found.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Has the vet listened to his lungs and seen him since you hear the rattling sound?

Why is he on antibiotics? Which medication is he on?

Where is the tiny puncture hole located?

Is your kitten eating, drinking and eliminating normally? Is he active and alert?

Has he begun his vaccination series?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: Hi,

Has the vet listened to his lungs and seen him since you hear the rattling sound? NO. IT JUST SEEMS TO RATTLE WHENHE PURRS> OTHERWISE< HIS BREATHING SEEMS NORMAL.

Why is he on antibiotics? Which medication is he on? HE IS ON "CLAVAMIX," FOR THE TINY PUNCTURE HOLE. IF IT'S JUST AN INJURY, THE VET SAID THIS MED WOULD HELP...BUT IF IT IS A PARASITE, THEN IT MAY HAVE TO BE REMOVED SURGICALLY.

Where is the tiny puncture hole located?ON HIS CHEST, JUST BELOW HIS NECK--CLOSE TO A COLLAR BONE ON THE LEFT SIDE.

Is your kitten eating, drinking and eliminating normally? Is he active and alert? YES, EVERYTHING IS NORMAL (ALTHOUGH WE'RE NOT SURE IS HE HAS DRANK ANY WATER TODAY). HE SEEMS OTHERWISE LIKE A PERFECTLY HAPPY, HEALTHY, SPUNKY, NORMAL PLAYFUL KITTEN.

Has he begun his vaccination series? YES. HE ALSO HAD SOME REVOLUTION FOR LICE (HE DID NOT HAVE FLEAS OR EARMITES, JUST LICE), AND HE ALSO HAD A DE-WORMER>

Thanks for any additional detail. THANK YOU!

Cher

__________________
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thank you for your additional information.

The parasite your vet is suspecting, if he didn't mention it to you, is the larvae of the bot fly, called a 'bot worm'. It burrows under the skin of the cat and then comes up through the skin to make a tiny airhole to breathe. If the bot worm is successfully removed, without crushing it, it won't harm the kitten. If it's not removed or if it's crushed during removal, it releases a bacteria-laden substance, and that's why your vet put your kitten on Clavamox as a precaution.

Regarding the rattling noise you hear when he's purring, he may have some slight congestion that could be related to the beginning of an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold) or he may have the beginnings of bronchitis, asthma or pneumonia. However, the fact he's currently on Clavamox is very good, as it should help to alleviate any infection he may have.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/uri.html

Continue to monitor him for any further symptoms of congestion, sneezing, nasal or eye discharge, coughing, etc., and if the rattling becomes more pronounced, or he seems to have trouble breathing, call your vet to report this. Young kittens don't have their full immunities built up yet, so they're more susceptible to these types of infection.

Running a humidifier in your home, or in the room he spends the most time in, will add moisture to the air and might help. Also, to decongest him, if he does have congestion, run a hot shower to steam up your bathroom and sit in there with him for 15 minutes, every few hours. Wrap him in a towel before coming out, so he doesn't get a chill.

I hope he'll be fine! He sounds like a cutie! : )

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience