Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer

My kitten has a hole in her hind leg ...

Customer Question

My kitten has a hole in her hind leg on the outside, it looks like maybe a cyst that burst. When I found it her hair was matted over it and when I pushed on a lot of pus came out so we washed it off and got all the hair out of the way and its now a big deep hole in her leg I cleaned it out with peroxide but I'm not sure what to do now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
This sounds like an abcess that has ruptured. Keeping it clean and open is very important so you are on the right track. It would be best for her to get some antibiotics from your vet to help her from getting an infection. Doing water therapy 2 or 3 times a day would also be a big benefit. Using a sprayer and warm water and gently rinsing it will help keep it clean and will increase the circulation to that area and help promote healing. You want it to stay open and drain and heal from the inside out.