Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

Do you have an over the counter remedy for cat vomiting

Do you have an over the counter remedy for cat vomiting? Years ago I know a Vet had said ok on Pepto Bismal.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
You definitely do NOT want to give Pepto. It contains aspirin and cats cannot process aspirin. It can be fatal. How long has your cat been vomiting and how old is your cat?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: Hi & Thanks! She has been vomiting since yesterday, but slowed down on eating for 4 days. She is a cat I rescued & she was fine for 3 months, but I refilled her hyothyroid medicine at my pharmacy & she seems to be having adverse reactions to that. My Vet is away until Monday. I am giving her 6 cc's by mouth of a mush I have made of water, boiled chicken, cottage cheese & chicken broth because she has been refusing food & I know she is dehydrated. Her medicine is Methimazole 5 mg (1/2 tab 2 x per day) I am giving the 5 mg over 12 hours in 1/4 doses & she still seems ill by that)
Thanks..
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you are pretty much on top of things. I would withhold food for 12 hours to give her stomach time to rest. I would also substitute Pedialyte unflavored for water. You need to push fluids to encourage hydration. Substitute the pedialyte for the homemade recipe you are pushing now. If she's able to keep the pedialyte down, you can start her back on the boiled chicken you've made. If she can't even keep the pedialyte down, then I would be very concerned about an obstruction of some type and would advise going to the emergency clinic. The only thing that I would consider giving her would be Tums or Mylanta....Maalox would be another option, but most over the counter products are not safe for cats.

Please let me know if I can help further and how she's doing.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The only thing that I would consider giving her would be Tums or Mylanta....Maalox would be another option, but most over the counter products are not safe for cats.
Thanks..but are those you listed somewheat safe? I will get the pedialite (unflavored)
Thank you
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
The three I listed are fine to give. There will be no adverse affects on her. You can give 1 cc of the Maalox or Mylanta every 2 hours up to 3 doses. Tums will be a little more difficult to give because she probably won't want to chew it. Try the Mylanta or Maaloxx. They are both very safe for her. If she can't keep it down, again, I would worry about an obstruction.
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience: 16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments