Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

blood cells are oval rather than round

MY CAT IS 15 WEIGHT LOSS THROWS UP 3 FOR TIMES A DAY THE VET SAID THE ONLY THING THEY FIND IA HIS BLOOD CELLS ARE OVAL NOT ROUND HE COULD NOT EXPLAIN
Hi, and thanks for requesting me to answer your question!

Is your cat eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

When did the vomiting first start and how much does he weigh now?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: HE IS DRINKING A LITTLE HE SEEMS TO EAT MORE WHEN HE IS ALONE WITH US NOT WITH THE OTHER 3 CATS THE VOMET IS CLEAR TO SLIGHTY BROWN
HE WEIGHS ABOUT 7 LBS HE CANT GET ENOUGH OF LAYING ON MY SHOLDER WITH HIS HEAD PUSHED INTO MY NEXT AS HARD AS HE CAN HE IS A PERSAIN
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
CAN YOU REALLY HELP
Hello again, and thanks for your additional information.

Weight loss and vomiting can often be symptoms of diabetes, hyperthyroidism and renal failure, which affects older cats more often. I'm assuming these conditions were tested for in his bloodwork?

Re: the irregular shaped blood cells, were these the red or white cells?

Did your vet recommend seeing a feline specialist if s/he couldn't explain the cause of the oddly shaped cells?

Please give me a short while to research this further for you. Thanks!

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THEY WERE RED
NO
HE ALSO HAS HEAVY SCALING IN PATCHES ALONG BACK TO HIS TAIL WITH SCABS HYDROGYN PEROXIDE HELP DRY THEM UP AND NO I DON'T HAV A BLACK CAT HE IS CALICO NOW
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
HE ALSO WAS FEED PRIORITY SLICES & CUBES WITH GRAVY AND NOW HE IS ON A/D PRESCRIPTION DIET FROM
PURINA
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THIS WAS THE BAD FOOD THAT KILLED CATS DOGS
Hi again,

As you may know, any shape deviation from the norm, like oval red blood cells which should be round, indicate there's a hematological problem; what kind of condition or disease is causing the oval cells, must be determined by further testing, usually by a feline hematology specialist experienced in feline diseases of the blood.

From the research I've done, I've found it's possible that 'macrocytes', which are red cells with an increased size, (9-12µm in diameter), may be found in liver disease and megaloblastic anemia, when associated with vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency, and these type of blood cells may appear slightly oval in shape.

Some particular types of poikilocyte blood cells are 'tear-drop' shaped and would be a characteristic feature of marrow fibrosis, but it can also be seen in other conditions.

This is a place to start, but if your vet has no answers for you, you must seek out a specialist who can help determine the cause of the problems your cat is experiencing, if it's due to this blood cell irregularity. Specialists can be found in ER vet centers and Veterinary Universities. If you're fortunate enough to have one or both of these facilities in your area, ask your vet for a referral (they usually require this) and call for an appt.

For now, to help your cat keep down food and stop the vomiting, try feeding him a very bland diet of plain boiled skinless chicken breast, with no seasonings or onion/garlic added. Chop this up and mix it with well-cooked white rice; feed small portions to your cat instead of his regular food for one or two days and see if it helps decrease the vomiting. You can also try to offer him plain jarred baby food chicken (also, no onion or seasonings added) and see if he likes it. Nutri-Cal is a supplement to feed cats who are not eating and need to gain weight and energy. You can find it in pet supply stores and online. Also, make sure he's getting enough fluids or he'll become dehydrated, so add some children's unflavored Pedialyte to his water bowl (1/2 teaspoon)every day, or dropper-feed him with a 1cc size dropper, one dropperful every hour, if he's not drinking much at all on his own. After you feed him the chicken and rice, go back to canned cat food, as this supplies more moisture than dry. Try a premium brand like Wellness, Felidae or Innova, which is sold in major pet supply stores.

I just saw your additional information which you sent while I was typing. If he ate tainted food from the recall, was he diagnosed with kidney failure? The a/d is good, bland food, so keep up with that, or try mixing it with the chicken and rice after you feed the chicken and rice for 2 days.

You should see another vet if your vet doesn't know what's wrong with your cat; even before seeing a specialist, perhaps another local vet who only treats cats will be able to make a diagnosis.

I hope you're able to get more information about what's happening in his body to make his blood cells oval, through further testing by the specialist, and then get a diagnosis, so your cat can be treated ASAP, and start feeling better! Would you please keep me posted on his progress and let me know the vet's findings? Thanks!

Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

YES I WILL AND THANK YOU SO MUCH AND HAVE A GOOD NIT AND THANKS

MY NAME IS DANIEL

You're very welcome, Daniel, and you have a good night, also!

Cher