Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Will my cat be hurt if he just ate some neosporin off a cut ...

Will my cat be hurt if he just ate some neosporin off a cut on his chin?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

Do not worry!! Neosporen is mostly vaseline so this will NOT hurt your boy at all.He could get a little soft stool if he continues to eat it so just do not put any more on tonight.

He will be just fine!!
Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank you very much. It is Walgreens Triple Antibiotic Plus- with Polymyxin Sulfat, Bacitracin Zinc, and Praxomine HCi - so I assume this is similar or the same as Neosporin?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I do not know about the zinc. Neosporen is mostly vaseline but this product has a lot more chemicals in it.Some zincs can be harmful.

I would watch him very carefully. If he starts vomiting or becomes lethargic you should take him to the ER.

Hopefully if he just licked ac tiny dab he should be OK.

I will be here a while so let me know if anything changes.

Sincerely,'

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hopefully if he just licked a tiny dab he should be OK.

Sincerely,'

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks. So if he does not start to vomit or act strangely, then he should be ok?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if the zinc bothers him he will begin vomiting right away. So if he is fine in an hour he should be Ok.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank you so much!!! That was really stupid of me. I have a vet appt in a week so that they can look at his acne. It started out looking like sand on his chin but some have gotten bigger and now he has bald spots.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

does it look like this

www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Yes it is now starting to...before it just looked like dirt on his chin. Is that bad?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

No this is NOT serious at all!! It is caused by a blocked sebaceous gland. Just use stridex or other human acne pad on it. Discard any plastic dishes as they promote it and use metal or china

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank you so very much. You have been great!
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Sincerely,

Terri