Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat suddenly today doesnt feel well. Yesterday he ...

My cat suddenly today doesn't feel well. Yesterday he was full of energy and playing with his buddy. Overnight, he seemed to have 'thrown up' but it looked more like when a hairball comes up. His stool was loose. He is listless and doesn't even want to eat his favourite treat. What could this be? Is there anything I can do for him, besides going to the vet? Thank you.

How old is he?

is he an indoor kitty?

what did he eat last?

is he dehydrated?

Thanks,

Terr

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He is two years old.
He is an indoor kitty.
He ate last night.
He wasn't dehydrated when I saw him last. I am at work and he is home with my mother and my two other cats and one dog. She says he is just sleeping. He walks around but slowly like he has not energy. My dog was sick like this on Monday. She had diahrrea, threw up and drank a lot. I gave her a little bit of bismuth and by evening she was better and eating. Could this be related?
Thank you.

Please stand by while I type detailed answer.

Did you give any bismuth to the cat?
did they eat the same thing?

can you get a bottle of plain pedilayte on your way home.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I haven't given bismuth to the cat.
No - the dog and cat haven't eaten the same thing. The cat doesn't even eat people food.
I can get a bottle of pedialyte on the way home.
Thank you.

Dear friend,

He may be dehydrted an hypoglycemic. Tell your mom to put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to rase his blood sugar. When you get home:
If your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Boil chicken or fish as the scent of food cooking awakens the appetite sensor in the brain.

He may have a digestive upst or a hairball. Dogs and cats cannot get the same diseases but if they licked or ate the same thing they can both get bacteria. Even from water. Bring home plain yogurt too.

Please write when you get home and let me know how he is doing. I will be here til ten tonight.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. I will try all that and get back you. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sincerely,
Rosemary

Dear Rosemary,

My fingers are crossed as well!!

Sincerest best wishes and prayers,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi Terri,

My little guy is doing better. He's not 100% yet but there is improvement. I picked up some pedialyte and gave him some like you said and also gave him some canned food (the canned food I give my cats have 'juice' in it - they don't like the other stuff) with water and he lapped it up. I think with a good rest, he should be good as new tomorrow. If there is anything, can I still contact you?? Thank you so much for your wishes and prayers.

Most sincerely,
Rosemary (& Arthur) :)

Dear Rosemary,

I am sooo glad he is better!!! I will be here til ten so please press rellist and let me know how he is at ten and in the morning as well.And please give sweet Arthur a BIG kiss for me.

Sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Terri,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you at ten last night - I was in bed already. Have to get up tres early.

This morning Arthur was looking much much better. He was alert and bright-eyed and was playing with his buddy. I will surely give Arthur a BIG kiss from you. Thank you again so very much.

Take care.
Rosemary

Hi Rosmary,

I m soooo happy to hear sweet Arthur is better.That is GREAT news!!

Please keep me posted.

You are very welcome.It was my pleasure to help.

Sincerely,

Terri