Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

MY PREGNANT CAT IS SLEEPING ALOT WITH LITTLE ...

Customer Question

MY PREGNANT CAT IS SLEEPING ALOT WITH LITTLE ACTIVITY...DOES THIS MEAN SHE'S CLOSE TO HER DELIVERY?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Do you have an idea of when she conceived?

Is she eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

Is she licking her hind area at all?

Thanks for your additional information.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: YES SHE'S LICKING HER HIND AREA BUT NOT MORE THAN USUAL PRIOR TO HER PREGNANCY. EATING AND DRINKING MORE. ESTIMATE CONCEIVING 6 WEEKS. SLEEPS ALOT ON HER SIDE WITH HIND LEGS SPREAD.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SHE'S 1 YEAR OLD...FIRST PREGNANCY...ABOUT 6-7 WEEKS PREGNANT...EATING, DRINKING TWICE AS MUCH. SLEEPING MORE WITH LITTLE ACTIVITY...TOMCAT ALSO STAYS CLOSE TO HER SIDE AND WHEN SHE'S OUT OF HIS SIGHT, HE MAKES A CALLING SOUND AND SHE RETURNS TO HIM.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information about your mom-cat to be!

A cat's gestational period is approximately 9 weeks, so she's not quite ready, unless you've miscalculated. Slowing down in activity is not abnormal, as she's more tired as she grows bigger, however, if you notice such a big change in her activity level at this time, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by the vet to make sure all is well. She may have some nutritional deficiencies, as the kittens are 'taking' from her, too. Is she eating a premium KITTEN food? This is recommended for pregnant and nursing cats, to supply extra calories and nutrition. The vet may also suggest some nutritional supplements and vitamins.

About 24 hrs. before labor begins, she would become restless, searching for a good nesting place to give birth--prepare a nesting box for her, in a quiet, dimly lit, non-drafty area, and show it to her now, so she might start sleeping there and get used to it--you can put one of your unwashed t-shirts in the box so your scent is near her and makes her feel secure. She will also slow down in her eating or have no appetite at all for 24 hrs. before labor begins, so if she's eating and drinking a lot now, she's not ready to give birth.

The following will provide you with some helpful information re: feline pregnancy and delivery:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/delivery.html

It will be important to keep the Tom cat separated from her and the kittens when she gives birth and right afterwards. She can go into heat as early as 2 days after delivery (this is rare, but can happen) and the male will do anything to get to a female in heat, including hurting or killing (unintentionally) the kittens. If she and your Tom are close, SHE can visit with him (as long as she's not in heat), but keep the kittens and her nesting box in a separate room.

Having your Tom neutered at this time (I assumed he's not?) would be a good idea. However, the mom-cat and kittens should still be kept separated from him at first.

I hope all goes well!

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER AND TIME...I'M VERY PLEASED.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Oh, you're very welcome, and thank you very much for your accept!

Please let me know if I can be of further help at any time.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: Thank you again so very much...my cat Shay have given birth to 5 kittens...1 stillborn which Shay had allowed me to remove from her nest. All seems to be going well, and believe it or not but I'm so excited. You have been an excellent advisor and I hope that we can maintain contact other than my grand-kittens.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and many congratulations on your new furry additions! : )

I guess Shay was closer to her due date than we thought! I'm glad is going well, and am sorry for the one stillborn kitten, but this is nature's way. That's why cats usually have more than one kitten in a litter; nature knows they might not all survive. How lovely of Shay to allow you to remove the kitten from the nest. That's proof of your loving and trusting relationship with her and that's wonderful!

I hope things continue to go well and yes, I'd love to hear more about you and your feline family. You can just click 'reply' on this 'information request', which I'm sending so you're not prompted to accept a second time.

If you need information on newborn kittens and what Shay should be doing as a mom, just to make sure everything is going according to schedule, please let me know, and I'll send you to some good webpages.

Again, Congratulations!

Cher