Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cats urine is not clumping in the litter, which it

My cat's urine is not clumping in the litter, which it normally does. It just seems to dissolve in the litter and it also has a strong ammonia smell.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

My guess is probably that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your cat (which is good news).....more than likely, you've gotten a bad batch of clumping litter. This happens more than you'd think. I would simply start out by purchasing another box of litter and see what happens. I would even consider a different brand just to make certain that it's not the cat.

Please let me know if I can help further!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would have thought that but it has been clumping from this same batch of litter until recently and if I pour water into the litter, it does clump. Do you still think its the litter and not the cat? Is a strong ammonia smell ok?
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Is your cat male or female? Is it spayed or neutered?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My cat is male and neutered and is 11 years old.
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

You might have him check to see if there is an infection going on. The strong ammonia smell indicates a strong concentration of urine - or high acidity which is what you want with cats. Males tend to have stronger urine than females (especially unneutered males), but if this is a recent development, it definitely should be checked. If he is not drinking a lot, you might try to entice him to drink more - sometimes cat fountains help or putting icecubes in his water bowl. Given his age, I think it would be a good idea for your vet to do a urinalysis and maybe a geriatic blood panel just to see if everything is normal.

Please let me know what they find.

Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience: 16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments