Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My cat suddenly can not jump up anymore. This was onset. He ...

My cat suddenly can not jump up anymore. This was onset.It started out that he would not jump into my lap, or onto the bed. He is a 10 year old male. He just lays in one spot and seems to be exhausted all the time.This has been going on for 5 days now. He almost seems to be ataxic? He lays in one spot all day long. He will not eat or drink anything, and has not used the litter box in 5 days either. He is an indoor cat, and has been all of his life. He has never had any shots done, so the vet will not admit him. He Will pick his head up every now and then, but then lays it back down. He doen't appear to have any noticable bumps or lumps on him. It almost seems like he can't get up, or it takes such energy for him, that he can't do it. I don't think he is in pain. One thing I did was open a can of tuna because it's his favorite, and he got up very slowly and walked into the kitchen. He took a little lap of it and the just collasped. He did not move again after that. So it seems like he w
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 7 years ago.

I know that you're not going to like my answer because I can't give you good advice on how to treat this at home.

You should be very worried. Any time that a cat won't eat for more than 48 hours, you are in serious trouble. Their liver can fail and then the cat can die. It is called hepatic lipidosis where the liver thinks it is being starved and starts "grabbing" fat cells...and actually ends up killing the liver.

I suggest that you see the vet first thing for a full exam and possibly bloodwork to find out what's going on.

If you can get her to eat something today, it's not as much of an emergency. You can try a little chopped boiled chicken or jarred baby food meat. You can also use plain pedialyte to rehydrate her.

But don't hesitate to give your vet a call if she doesn't start eating and improving soon.

At this age, renal failure and liver disease are very common. But they are treatable with drugs.

I also worry that the cat has suffered from a blood clot, based on what you have described.

I truly recommend urgent vet care for you, if you want to save him.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert