Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

My cat is no longer pooping in his litter box

My cat has started not using the litter box after two years in our home. I cannot have him using the basement as his personal litter box. Help !!

Hello,Customer/p>

How old is your cat?

Is he neutered?

Are the bowel movements normal, other than not in the litter box?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Micki's Post: He is estimated to be 4-5 years old, he was a stray from the animal shelter when we got him (2 years ago). He is neutered. We have always stated to the vet that his stool is very offensive (compared to our 17 yr. old female). It is kind of soft serve in nature, but it always has been that way for some reason. He must still be urinating in the box (although he has gone on our basement carpet a couple times but that stopped. We have tried adding another litter box and different litter to no avail. BotXXXXX XXXXXne we cannot keep him if he continues to poop on our basement floor. He has never pooped anywhere else but the basement, which is probably why we have tolerated it as long as we have. My wife wants me to take him to the vet, but I'm not sure it's a medical problem more than behavioral. Which is why I am trying You !!! Thanks

Thank you so much.

This is obviously a behavioral problem. First of all do not punish him by rubbing his nose in it and such. This Twill just make it worse.

I do not know where you keep the litter boxes, but you definatly need to keep one in the basement. Since that appears to be his place of choice.

You can use a litter called cat attract. Attract Litter is designed to make it easier to get cats of all ages trained or re-trained to use the litter box.

Very important to clean the areas that has been marked. You need to use a enzyme odor eliminating cleaner such as nature's miracle. Regular cleaner such as Lysol will not work as good. He keeps going to the same spots because he smells his scent there. You must get rid of the scent.

You can also use a product called feliway. This is a pheromone spray that helps cats with aggression, territorial issues, and anxiety. (Your cat is having a territorial issue.)

You can spray it on surfaces he has previously pooped on. Petsmart also sells it in a form called comfort zone. This is an electric plug in that puts it in the air.

When you do catch him using the litter box appropriately reward him with a yummy little kitty treat. Cats learn very fast a reward method of training.

As for the really bad smelling and soft poop, give him a tsp a day of plain yogurt. You'll be surprised how much this helps. It firms the stool and add good bacteria to the digestive tract.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

All the products that I mentioned can be purchased at pet smart, petco, and most larger pet supply stores.

Micki

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Micki's Post: Thanks,

The first thing we do is punish him now, so strike one right off the bat. I clean each spot after he does it, but there have been so many now I think we will try the spray you recommended. Wish me luck (and Zakk) I truly hope it works.

Frustrated cat owners,

Brian & Kelly