Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Can you give me name of cat tranquilizer over the counter

Customer Question

I need to have my cat groomed and she is paranoid of groomers and needs a good tranquilizer to calm her down. Can you recommend a good one I can buy over the counter?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Unfortunately, there are no tranquilizers you can buy over the counter to safely administer to your cat. If she needs to be sedated while being groomed, only the vet can do this safely.

If the vet hasn't gotten back to you yet, call again, explain the situation and ask for a callback before they close today. The vet may ask to see her in person before prescribing a sedative, if he hasn't seen her recently. If your vet also does grooming, I'd recommend having this done at the vet's office, as tranquilizing a cat and then having her at the groomer's, may pose a health risk.

I wish you and your cat much good luck and hope the grooming session is successful.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The only way that vet will groom my cat is to gas her for $200.00! I found a groomer that will groom her but they require it be tranquilized!! But I guess the vet probably wants the $200 to gas her again and i don't want to do that to her!!!
So I really need a tranquilizer for her!!!
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Ok, I completely understand your situation; the only person who can write a prescription for a tranquilizer is your vet.

Here, on this site, we can't prescribe or recommend an over the counter tranquilizer for your cat because this type of medication doesn't exist (over the counter). Only prescription medication from your vet, after being aware of your cat's current health status, can be safely given.

If your vet already told you they want $200 to put her under anesthesia and groom her, and this is not the procedure you want for her, or want to pay for, because that's pretty steep, call other well-recommended (feline-only, if possible) vets in your area, and see what their procedure is for grooming a cat who definitely needs to be sedated or tranquilized during this procedure.