Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

My cats ears have a weird crusty sores on the

Customer Question

My cat's ears have a weird crusty sores on the tips and edges of them. At first I thought they were sores from fighting with other cats but when I looked closer it was just crusty and what started out just on one ear has spread to the other ear.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Can you look IN the ears and see if they appear to be dirty inside?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: No they are not dirty on the inside. When I just looked at them, they seem to have wart like things on the inside up on the tip part. Some of them are oozing
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your cat has ringworm. You can go to the drug store and get some anti-fungal, like lamasil and use this on the areas that are crusty and this should clear up the problem. Some of the antifungals work faster than others....some you have to use for up to a month (read the directions on the box). Lotrimin Ultra is supposed to clear the fungal problems up in a week. You need to treat all the areas and wash thoroughly after treating them as ringworm is contagious to humans. If this doesn't help, you need to take your cat into the vet so they can culture the area and see if it is yeast or another type of fungus that may need additional treatment.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They seem to be spreading since a couple of days ago when I first noticed them. I went to the vet today but he was gone. Could it possibly be a fungus or something like that
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Please see my answer to you above. I am fairly certain it's ringworm, which is a fungal infection.
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience: 16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She sleeps on my bed, is this a problem? The only thing I have right now is equate - tolnaftate cream USP 1% Can I put this on now, and should I wash my hands good after I do. How about the other cats. The cat that has it is quite old and really doesn't get close to the other cats.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

She has probably been harboring this for a while and you usually see it in cats that are very young (kittens) and older because the immune systems aren't as good as they could be. You can use the Equate and just wash your hands after applying it. The spores from the ringworm are in the environment so just watch your other cats for signs. Sometimes you will see it on the face or feet also. As long as she's not laying on your skin, you should be fine....if she's been sleeping with you all this time, you probably would have signs by now if you were going to get it. Young children are the most vulnerable. Adults don't seem to get it very often. You can use the anti-fungal on you if you see any spots.