Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

How can I tell if a cat has been declawed At cat has ...

Customer Question

How can I tell if a cat has been declawed? At cat has appeared at my house and I cannot get close enough to tell if she has claws, but I think not. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

How old does the cat look?

does she have a lot of fur growing near her toes?

can she climb?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I believe this cat is about 2-3 years old and I am not sure if she can climb, I have not seen her climb any trees. The fur the on her toes does "hook" or curl like, on each toe. I hope you know what I mean. I have a cat, he is not declawed and it is very apparent that he has claws, but my cat is a domestic short hair, where this cat has longer hair. I am concerned that if this cat does not have claws, first of all obviously she belonged to someone who lost her and second of all her defense mechanism is compromised. Furthermore, if I advertise she has been found, I want to be as accurate as I can. Thank you for your help!!
Expert:  Terri replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

If she is clean and looks well fed she may be someones pet. The best thing to do is try to get her to come indoors where you can monitor her but keep her separated from your cat until you have her checked for feline diseses.

Please let me know what happens.

Very sincerely,

Terri