Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369
Cat

Why does my pregnant cat (8-9weeks pregnant) have diarrhea

My pregnant cat has had... Show More
My pregnant cat has had diarrhea for about 5 days. The vet gave me something for it when it first developed. It had blood in it then. This med did get the blood out of it but she still has it. The vet gave me something different and also some little packets of powder to sprinkle over her food. She always acts likes she's hurting right before she has a bowel movement. I thought she might be going into labor but instead she's having "diarrhea" pains. I don't know the exact time she got pregnant so the vet did Xrays and said she was atleast 7 weeks, that was 8 days ago. Could a very scared and anxoius young cat be just stressed over her upcoming labor? Or could this possibly be a sign of early labor?
Category: Cat
replied 9 years ago.

How old is your cat?

Is she eating, drinking and urinating normally, aside from the diarrhea? What food does your cat eat (brand and canned or dry)?

Does she go outside at all?

Do you know the names of the medication and powder the vet gave you? Was a stool sample analyzed? Were any blood tests done at the vet?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Cher
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: She is 10 months to 1 year old. She has been outside that is how she got pregnant. She is stictly indoors now. She is eating Kitten Chow- dry. She is eating and drinking very well, infact her eating has picked up a bit. The meds are: Diarsanyl, Metronidazole-250 mg 1/2 tab po q 24 hrs. and FortiFlora q day sprinkled over food.The vet had not done any stools samples or blood tests. She has only been seen once before the diarrhea began. I called them about the diarrhea and they have prescribed these meds but have not suggested I bring her in.
Cher, Feline Specialist replied 9 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information. She is quite young to be pregnant, but I'm glad you're watching her health and are in touch with the vet. I'm also glad you didn't have to subject her to the stress of a vet visit, and they were willing to prescribe the medication over the phone.

All the medications prescribed, are the appropriate ones for her diarrhea problem and the Forti-Flora is a 'probiotic', to add 'good' bacteria to her intestinal system.

While it's not uncommon for some pregnant cats to experience diarrhea right before they give birth, her symptoms may indicate that there's still either an intestinal parasite problem, an intestinal virus, or she may even be experiencing an allergy to some ingredients in her kitten chow. Her system may be more sensitive to the fillers like corn, corn gluten, wheat, soy, dairy products and artificial preservatives, which her food may contain, as these are common allergens for cats. Stress can cause diarrhea and blood in the stool, so this too, is a possibility. However, normally, a pregnant cat would not feel anxious over the pregnancy, as a human female might.

If she's eating and drinking well, that's good; I would recommend offering her some plain, skinless, boiled chicken breast (no seasonings, onion or garlic added) mixed with well-cooked white rice, and see if this bland and binding food helps her stool firm up. Make sure she's drinking sufficiently, as she's losing fluids through her loose stool.

Give the medications a chance to work, and hopefully between those, and the bland chicken and rice diet for a few days, you should begin to see a positive difference. Here is some more detailed information re: feline diarrhea, intestinal parasites and inflammatory bowel disease:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diarrhea.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/worms.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/ibd.html

She should be ready to give birth in about a week, and this site will give you much needed and important information re: feline pregnancy and delivery:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html

I hope she'll be fine and please keep me posted on how she's doing and let me know when she has the babies. Thanks!

Cher