Tracy2
Tracy2, Registered Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Nearly 20 yrs in small animal medicine including emergency
3769175

18 year old cat with blocked saliva gland. How do I ...

18 year old cat with blocked saliva gland. How do I prevent blockage.It was lanced once and now coming back.

Can you tell me your kitty's symptoms?

Did the vet diagnose a blocked salivary gland?

Where is the blockage located?

Tracy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy2's Post: The vet said that is what is wrong. Told he is to old to do surgery. It comes up under his tongue a large bubble full of saliva. The vet punctured it to drain but it's coming back. Once it fills so full it blockes his airway and he has trouble eating anything and he still has an appetite. If it's a stone is there someway to disolve it or meds to stop creating stones?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

OK,

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, there really is no other treatment for this condition. The blocked salivary duct (salivary mucocele) can only be corrected with surgery. Simply draining it will not keep it away. It will continue to fill back up. Your boy is getting on in years, but if the mucocele is getting so large that it is causing him to have trouble eating, it is something that should be taken care of. If your vet is not comfortable anesthetizing your boy due to his age, he should refer you to a specialist. There are definitely risks to older animals that go under general anesthesia, but if they are monitored closely, they will usually do quite well. I hope this helps. Please reply if you have further questions about this.

Tracy