Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat keeps coughing like she has a hairball but never ...

Customer Question

My cat keeps coughing like she has a hairball but never coughs up anything. She has been tested for heart worms and distemper but has neither one. There is no pattern as to her coughing. Some days she coughs 2 or 3 times other times she goes 2 or 3 days without coughing at all. I have used the over the counter hairball meds and feed her the indoor cat food. Is there some home remedy I can try? Is ashma a possiblity? Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Donna,

How old is she?

does she ever chew non food items?

how long is she coughing?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: My cat is about 3 years old. No she doesn't chew on non food items. Her coughing lasts about a minute or so. It is like she is dry heaving
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Donna,

Please stand by while I type detailed answer.

how long is she coughing like this?

Thanks,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Cats do get athsma but it does not usually develope suddenly. This type of coughing is usually related to something stuck in the GI tract.I t can be as simple as a piece of string or thread or a hairball. Try upping the dose of the hairball remedy and also give her the oil from tuna. Feed her canned cat food instead of dry.Have your vet check or a dental issue like an abscessed tooth, swollen lymph nodes or upper respiratory or sinus infection.

Here is info on feline asthma:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_asthma.html

discontinue any scented or dusty litters as well.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further and how she is feeling. I am happy to help.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I would love to read your answer however at this point in time I don't have the $15.00. She has been coughing like this for about 8 months now. It breaks my heart to see her hurting like this. Every morning I am afraid I will find her dead. I recently moved and am unemployed at this time. I have spent what money I can for a vet trip already. Please don't think I don't care enough about my cat. Thank you for your effort Donna
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I know you love your cat. Please read the private message I sent you. I look forward to helping you in the future.You can reduce the value of your question to the minumum which I think is five dollars.

Very sincerely,

Terri