Tracy2, Registered Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Nearly 20 yrs in small animal medicine including emergency

My cat is licking his mouth frequently. His appetite is ...

My cat is licking his mouth frequently. His appetite is poor. What is this indicative of?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tracy2 replied 9 years ago.

How old is your boy?

What kind of food does he normally eat?

Can you describe the licking behavior?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy2's Post: he is 3 years old. has had a history of interstitial cystitis that we have controlled by using cosequin. I started to see him straining 2 weeks ago but have not noticed it again. Since being Dx with this he has been on a diet of wet food, prescription diet c/d....which he does not like. So, I have added "One" dry food for urinary tract health. Just today he seems more punky and would not even eat the dry food which he generally likes. The licking is just sticking he tongue out and licking his lip... I usually associate this with cats who have upset tummies.
Expert:  Tracy2 replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. The licking of his lips could signify a couple of things. It could be that he has a bad tooth. This may account for his not wanting to eat dry food. It could be a sign of nausea. The straining episode you saw 2 weeks ago could have been the beginning of an IC (interstitial cystitis) flare, and may have progressed, now making him naseaus. He may have a foreign object stuck under his tongue or somewhere in his mouth, that he is trying to get rid off. Try to get a look in his mouth, and especially under his tongue to see if there may be something that does not belong. You can also look at his gums. Red gums around a tooth indicate gingivitis, or a more severe dental problem. Obviously, if you seeing anything abnormal this is a reason to see the vet. If you don't see anything, and the behavior doesn't resolve in a day or two, he should see the vet. He doesn't need any reason to aggravate his IC. Please let me know if you have further questions, or need more info.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tracy2's Post: I will check his mouth but I don't think it is that. There seems to be a level of lethargy that I am wondering if he has a more serious urinary tract blockage. I have not watched him go into the bathroom to see how much comes out but will do that too. That you for your thoughts.
Expert:  Tracy2 replied 9 years ago.

I would definitely be concerned about a flare-up of the IC. Especially with the lethargy that you mention. If he is in a flare, and unable to urinate, this will definitely make him feel naueaus and lethargic, as I am sure you know. Please let me know how he is doing.