ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.
19786

My cat has a lump under her skin on her stomache about ...

My cat has a lump under her skin on her stomache about 2 inches in diameter on the lower left hand side. I just noticed it today. She had a subtotal collectomy last summer is it possible she tore something and the intestine is causing this? She does not appear to be in any discomfort and there don't seem to be any dietary changes. I don't think it's her bladder as I have another cat who had urinary tract issues. The vet will be in in the morning, is she at risk here or can I wait until 8:00am
Category: Cat
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 7 years ago.
Is it anywhere near where her incision was?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: yes, I do believe it is near the incision site, I just checked it seems more centrally located on the lower portion of the somache an inch or so below her rib cage. I pressed on it lightly ...seems a little hard. Do you think she perforated the incision site and it's her intestinal tract.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 7 years ago.
It could be a couple things. One is a hernia near the area of the incision. Depending on whether its an open or closed one is when you have to be concerned. If it is closed then none of the fascia (which is the band of fibrous connective tissue enveloping, separating, or binding together muscles, organs, and other soft structures of the body) or intestinal tissue that has pushed through. Usually if you push on this, though I don't having anyone but your vet to do this, it will feel fleshy and possibly disappear then it can reappear...you are basically pushing it back into the whole it came out of. This tissue can become herniated and you need to be concerned if it is intestines. What I DO think it is, however, is suture reaction and scarring has formed there. I would take her in tomorrow to have your vet check it either way. I would watch her attitude and should it seem to start bothering her tonight then a vet visit sooner. Keep her quiet though until the vet visit just incase.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She's pretty quiet at this point no unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye on her and was planning on bringing her in first thing. Just wanted some feedback to get her through the night. Thanks you have been very helpful and I'm sure at some point I will use this service again.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Good luck with her and remember, should she start to show any signs of discomfort then get her in tonight!
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: 25 + years of experience w/ sm. animal, fish, exotics, orthopedics, ophthalmology and zoo medicine.