Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is vomiting yellow bile and not eating

For the past three (3) days, my 11 month old Tabby has been throwing up and refusing to eat. Because he has not eaten for a few days, he is now throwing up yellow bile. He has also begun to shake just a little.

I made an appointment for the vet, but they are unable to see him for the next two (2) days.

I have been attempting to feed him a bland diet (chicken baby food) but he turns his head (he is not a finicky eater at all). Because he has not been eating and throwing up liquid, he is also not using the bathroom (#1 or #2). He has also been finding places in the house that are quiet, secluded, and dark.

What should I do for the next two (2) days?

This is a dire emergency where your boy is in serious, serious trouble and he is not going to make it another two days. He needs to be seen right now - this minute by a vet.

He is dehydrated and his elecrolytes are unbalanced. Once they cannot potty, their systems are shutting down and he needs IMMEDIATE help so PLEASE take him to the ER for subQ fluids.

I have never heard of a vet who will refuse to see an emergency for two days. That is terrible. I do not believe your baby can survive that long without vet care.I would be very upset by his lack of concern for your baby.

Please let me know how he is and then we will discuss what may be wrong.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear Terri,
I wanted to thank you for your QUICK response and suggestions and to inform you that I contacted my vet and informed them how upset I was and all of a sudden, an appointment "opened up."

However, after paying $270 they had me bring my cat home stating that they could not find out what was going on (he was dehydrated and was given subQ fluids thanks to you) and was told to bring him back if he vomited.

As soon as we got home, he threw up again so I brought him back and now I am told that my bill will be an additional $460 for them to do more tests.

I don't know what else to do at this point. He has never been ill and I am a 23 year old just out of college, so I don't make a lot of money. I am so confused and upset.

Thank you Terri for any response you may have for me.

The subq fluids will last for 30 hours.

I want you to get a bottle of unflavored pedialye and a jar of chicken or turkey baby food (no onion or garlic) and a one cc dropper.

We will give him four droppers of pedialyte - wait 20 minutes - then dilute the baby food with plain water and give a dropper every ten minutes for an hour. Then I will give you further instructions.

With a kitty as young as your boy, the most likely scenario is that he ate something non food like piece of plant, string, etc or he has a urinary tract or other infection. Let's get him hydrated and nourished and then we will look for a cause.

You baby is my only concern right now. I will continue to help you so get back to me ASAP.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear Terri,
Thank you so much for your response!

I know this reply is very late, but b/c of our time difference (I think I emailed you in the middle of your night), by the time I received your response I had already taken my kitten to the vet.

He was not moving very much and did not want me to touch him. After bring him to the vet and doing an intestinal parasite exam, two (2) different radiographs, and three (3) different blood tests, the vet still could not tell what was wrong.

According to her, nothing looks abnormal. Because she did two (2) x-rays (instead of the one (1) that was quoted) and three (3) blood tests (instead of the two (2) that was quoted), it is now costing me an extra $160 on top of the $270 and $460... just for them to tell me that they do not know what is going on (sorry... just frustrated).

Although he is an inside cat and has never been outside since I found him eight (8) months ago, I don't know if he ate a poisonous roach, got stung by a centipede (which I found about a month ago), or ate moldy food (I found an old dish under the pantry while attempting to figure out what he could of ate).

My cat only eats Science Diet but it was not one that was recalled. According to the x-rays, he did not eat anything that could have gotten stuck (i.e. string, ribbon, etc.) He is hospitalized for the time being, but I would really appreciate any other suggestions you may have so I could possibly bring it up to the vet in the morning. He is up-to-date on all his shots & tested negative for FIV.

Thank you SO much Terri...

I feel like I have no one else to turn to.

How is your boy? Is he able to potty on his own? Is he being fed and on an IV? what is being done for him?

Please let me know, I will always be here for you and your sweet boy.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear Terri,
First and foremost, I want you to know how much comfort you have brought me in the past few days. I can not begin to express how grateful I am to you and your kind words.

My kitten is still hanging in there... today was his third (3) day in the hospital and I have been visiting him everyday on my lunch break. He is on an IV but is still not eating (they tried this morning for the first time since 03/26/07 but he threw it up) and is still on a catheter.

The vet was honest in telling me that they have not been doing much for him besides running the same blood tests every other day because everything continues to turn up normal.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of what could have caused him to become this ill with no signs of blood or x-ray abnormalities b/c the vet said that any suggestions of what he could have gotten into could assist her in helping him.

I will keep you updated on any additional information I may receive... I just want you to know how much your time, patience, and understanding means to me right now.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Dear Terri,
I wanted you to know that Kini (my kitten) is FINALLY back home today after nearly seven (7) days in the hospital.

I want to thank you for saving him b/c you really did.
Sincerely, Crystal.