Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

Why does my cat cry when he urinates

Customer Question

My cat had an enema because he was constipated. After the enema, he was not urinating and the vet put him on Beytril (?). He is urinating fine but when he does, he cries.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 10 years ago.
If he is crying while urinating, then there is pain. In many male cats, they form urinary crystals called struvite. The crystals can vary in size and when the cat urinates, these crystals may be getting lodged in the urethra. Baytril is an antibiotic that is often used for urinary tract infections, but it is very unusual for cats to get bacterial urinary infections. Ask your vet to check the urine sediment for struvite crystals. If they are present, then changing the diet to a food called C/D may help precent these crystals from forming.