Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

Sensitive back area on my cat , what is causing it

The area in fron of my cat's tail on her back is very sensistive for some reason, when I pet her there she licks her lips constantly and wants to lick herself there. I took her to the vet and they said all her tests came back normally (fecal and blood). I bought special shampoo and have been giving her baths nothing seems to help and it's only getting worse. Her hair has already started to fall out and become very thin in that area. What could it be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

How old is your girl?

How much does she weigh?

Is the hair or skin oily or flaky?

You say she wants to lick herself there, can she reach that particular area?

Thank you

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: She is around 9 or 10, I adopted her but that was the vet's guess when she looked at her eyes.

She is an overweight kitty, and cannot reach her anal area to clean. The vet thought that this was an issue, however when the tests came back it showed nothing.

Her skin around the back of her in front of her tail was flakey like she had dandruff...but's it's been like that since I got her 6 years ago and it never seemed to bother her. I just started noticing signs of her doing strange things when I tried to pet her there 2 weeks ago. When she sits on the rug, she will lean to the side with one of her legs in the air so she's no on her bottom...her tail twiches a lot and when I even touch her slightly on her back where the hair is getting thin in front of her tail i can see her skin twitching like it's uncomfortable and then she licks her lips continuously. I know this sounds bazarre, but even the vet said it was weird. I just paid 300 bucks and they can't tell me what it is!

Please help! I can't stand to see her uncomfortable.
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

Being overweight this area is difficult for her to groom. This being said her skin will become flaky and there will be an oil buildup and will start to itch. Essentially, she cannot reach it. So when you are rubbing, scratching, or brushing it she will lick, she may even chew on her own paws while you are brushing. It is like that spot right in the middle of your back that you cannot reach but you get someone else to do it and wow isn't that a relief. The first thing to do is make sure there are no fleas on her. She may have an allergy to fleas and just one bite can cause a very itchy reaction. She could actually have airborne or food allergies. Doing a trial of an antihistamine may prove beneficial. Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 1/2 tablet twice daily for at least a week to decide one way or another if it is going to help would be recommended. I would also consider a diet change to something all natural. Nutro or Eagle pack or even a hypoallergenic diet from your vet. A food trial should last at least 8 weeks before deciding it isn't going to help. Avoid all treats or snacks during this time. The biggest thing you can do for her is to brush her everywhere including this area twice daily. Bathing or soaking the back end in an aloe and oatmeal shampoo is a good idea once weekly. Remember she cannot reach here to clean or groom herself you will need to help her to do this.

This is going to be a trial and error process in getting down to what is wrong. Make sure the veterinarian ran a thyroid profile on her as hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid problems and if she starts to lose weight then take her right back in for a recheck on the thyroid.

Her bottom may be a bit sore too. Cats who are overweight can develop issues with constipation and obstipation. This can become a serious issue because the nerve function is weak and they are not able to express bowel movements normally. Something else to keep an eye on in the future.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience: 19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

Something I neglected to include in the above information is that I would recommend starting her on omega three fatty acids. You can get this from your veterinarian or purchase this at any pet store. These fatty acids are good for the skin and coat and also have somewhat of an anti inflammatory affect which may help to improve her condition.

Theresa