Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

How do I adjust the time I need to give my cat her insulin ...

Customer Question

How do I adjust the time I need to give my cat her insulin with the daylight savings time change. What used to be 10:30 a.m. is now 11:30 a.m. If someone could please help me I would appreciate it. It is 9:19 a.m. est (daylight savings time) now but only 8:20 a.m on the watch I use for her injections.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
You still give it atr the same time frame that you did before as she needs to have it spread out correctly no matter what time it shows on your watch so what used to be 10:30 it wil now be 11:30 as if you give it at the same time framing on your watch you will be an hour behind in her needed insulin. So adjust your timing for the hour that you moved ahead and stil make sure that you give it at what used to be 10:30. Some feel using one watch and never adjusting the time works well for them as then you don't movr it forward or back each year but then again if you adjust the eating time you may have to slowly change her insulin time forward to adjust for that as well so it is all in the timing of your day and meals as well. But keeping her on the same time frame for eating and insulin actually works best. And will keep her blood sugar level the same also.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience: 14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry but this is really confusing - so if I keep my watch set at the time it is and give this a.m shot 1/2 hour early I would have cut the time by 1/2 hour. So tonight I will give it at 9:30 pm. which will cut the other 1/2 hour - that would give me the one hour time change.   Then when I go to bed set my watch forward and then I will be on the right 12 hour schedule.

Am I thinking clearly
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
I know it can really be confusing and the main thing is feeding time versus insulin time but yes your thinking is also correct give half an hour early and then tonight do the same and then set your watch and you will be in line for tomorrow. Then do the same thing in backwards for fall back time so when we go back an hour in the fall it will help you to stay in line with the correct time. If you give the shot a little early adjust the feeding time a little early until tomorrow so it helps keep the blood sugar level in proper balance as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU CHERYL - YOU HAVE SAVED MY MIND - THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST CONFUSING THINGS I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO - SHE IS 14 YEARS YOUNG AND I HAVE HAD HER SINCE 4 WEEKS AND SHE NURSED (SO SHE THOUGHT) ON MY TOE - THAT IS WHY I AM SO NERVOUS - SHE IS LIKE ONE OF MY KIDS. I THINK I HAVE IT NOW.

ONLY THING IS SHE IS A FUSSY EATER AND SOMETIMES SHE DOESN'T WANT TO EAT A WHOLE BUNCH - GUESS IT DOESN'T TAKE A "WHOLE BUNCH" HAVE A GREAT DAY AND MANY THANKS.
NAVAJO'S MOMMY
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I had a wonderful response this morning, but when I went to feed my cat this evening she wouldn't eat much at all. Was lazy and just not very active. So, I forced some food into her and all over me, she nibbled a little and then got out of her bed to lay on the floor. I was alarmed so I put some milk in a little bowl and made her drink it (through a dropper) so she had something in her belly when I gave her her insulin shot - my question is: do you think she is just having a quiet day - she did eat a good bit earlier today.

She is urinating about 6-8 times in a 24 hour period-drinks about a bowl of water a day -
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Milk has natural sugar, so I wouldn't give that to her. Also, most cats are lactose intolerant, and milk will cause diarrhea. The rule is, if your cat has not eaten, you shouldn't give the insulin. Too little insulin is not as big a problem as too MUCH insulin, which can cause very serious problems.

How long ago was she diagnosed, and how many units/what kind of insulin is she on now? Is she still being stabilized or is she established on the dose the vet feels is appropriate for good control of her diabetes?   From the information you supplied, if she's NOT yet stablized, that's okay, but if she IS on a dose the vet feels is good, she's drinking and urinating way too much to show good control. When was her blood glucose last checked? Also, in addition to the blood glucose test done in the doctor's office, a serum fructosamine test, sent to a lab, provides the best information as to how she's metabolizing her food, insulin and gives her blood sugar readings over a 24 hr. period.

Sometimes, cats will just be off their food, but if she normally eats a lot or eats at a certain time, and didn't, I'd monitor her closely, try to get her to eat a little more (don't force, just encourage) because she's had her evening insulin already, and if she's still not eating normally in the morning, definitely call the vet. If she doesn't eat her breakfast, if she's on a feeding 'schedule', DON'T give her the insulin shot.

I hope all will be well, and please keep me posted on how she's doing. Thanks!

Cher
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
Yes she is just havinga quiet day and it can also be due to the fact that the time changes effects them as well. I do not recommend feeding milk as it can effect her sugar count. And monitor her to be safe with her being insulin dependant as if she is not stable in her blood sugar not eating can cause serious issues . Monitor her closelt and ty to get her to eat something even a bland diet in the morning bt if she does not eat in the morning an trip tp the vet is recommended and if she does not eat her breakfast so not give her the insulin until she is seen as if she is on a regular feeding schedule this can throw off her levels so monitor her for improvemetn in the morning and if she s still not showing her usual demeanor then it is best to skip her insulin and have her seen for bloodwork.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: You know how it goes - pets are the same as kids - wait until late at night. We spent a few hours in an Emergency Clinic with Navajo when she couldn't stand up. I called them at 11:00 pm and they said come right down. Then she proceeded by saying - lets see what we could have, vascular failure or renal failure. So she took blood from her leg and her glucose was 546. I had only given her a half dose because I thought it was to high. I"m glad we took the insulin with us because she said to give it to her then. Now we raised her insulin to 12 units 2X a day. Now I am afraid to leave her.........what we do to ourselves - love our children and pets with all of our hearts - and sometimes it really hurts. So sorry to blabber so much but had to tell somebody to see if anybody else could still be crying the next day.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for updating me on Navajo,

I KNOW! Pets and kids have that knack of always getting sick on a weekend, late at night, or a holiday! : )

Yes, not being able to stand up is a common symptom with diabetes, when the sugar is too high. What was her dosage before it was just raised to 12 units twice a day? How much does Navajo weigh?

I understand your worry, believe me, and yes, I'd still be crying the next day, too! The most important thing is to get her stabilized on the correct dosage and you can do that with your regular vet. When was Navajo first diagnosed? When my cat was being stabilized, the vet started him on a low dose, too blood every week, and raised it or lowered it as needed. he started on 2 units/2Xs a day, went as high as 7, as is now stabilized at 5. What type of insulin is it? My cat is on PZI. Is Navajo eating and how is she doing now?

Cher (Jessesmom)