Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

One of my cats is pooping white stools. I have 7

One of my cats is pooping white stools. I have 7 cats, so I don't know which one it is yet, but what could be causing this? Could it be the result of a male cat not getting enough canned food?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 9 years ago.
Hi Snicky,
How long has this been going on?
Do they ever have access to eat bones or anything like that?
Any change in diet, and if so, to what?
Is the stool white or grey? ( I know you said white, but I want to be sure...)

Standing by...
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Reani's Post: I have noticed it off and on for 2-3 months. It's by no means a daily occurrence. Ash white is probably the best description of the color. One of the cats drinks my left over fat-free half & half (after I've finished my cereal). Occasionally, I feed the cats turkey breast from the deli, but other than that, they have their choice of Kirkland's Feline DRY cat food or Chef's Blend. Both of these are out 24 hours/day. I only feed canned food every 2-3 weeks. I have 4 boys and 3 girls; the oldest of which is around 10-11 years old.
Expert:  Reani replied 9 years ago.
Hi Again,

It could simply be the half and half (most cats are lactose intolerant, so this is my suspicion), but it also could be signs of a liver problem. White poop is commonly caused by ingesting bones, (maybe in the canned food if it has by-products in it). Try to pinpoint if this occurs within about 24 hours of the half and half treat. If it does, that is probably it.

Grey poop could be a sign of liver problems which is why I ask. Take a look at all your kitties, ( I know there are lots, and bless you for giving them all such a good home) and see if the whites of their eyes are yellowed, or their gums. This is a sign of jaundice which would also indicate a liver problem.

I think that you will find it has to do with the diet rather than a liver problem, but it is best to keep an eye on all of them for any changes in behavior or discoloration of their eyes or gums. Here is some info on liver disease and symptoms.

More on Liver

Armed with what to look for, I think that your kitties will be just fine. You sound like such a caring parent. Best of luck to you, please let me know how your detective work goes!
Best Regards,