Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is drooling uncontrollably and he is acting ...

Customer Question

My cat is drooling uncontrollably and he is acting very weird. He didn't eat much food tonight either.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

Excessive drooling and inappetance may be caused by an oral problem like an abscessed tooth, infected gums, sores in the mouth or on the tongue, or in the throat. Your cat may have ingested a toxic substance and it is causing the symptoms you're seeing.

Acid reflux and nausea can also cause these physical reactions, as can kidney or liver problems. An intestinal blockage or urinary blockage are also possible, if you haven't seen your cat urinate or defecate today.

Since there are a variety of possible causes, it's important that your cat be seen by a vet ASAP. If a cat doesn't eat for a short period of time, he will develop feline hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome) which could damage the liver, and must be treated by the vet immediately. If he also is not drinking on his own, he will become dehydrated and this could also be very damaging to his health.

Please inspect the inside of your cat's mouth for any foreign objects or conditions I described above. If he's acting weird, he should be evaluated by the vet tonight; if your vet is closed now, bring him to a vet ER center nearby for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.

I hope he'll be fine after the vet sees him! Please keep me posted on his condition. Thanks!