Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

my cats back, close to the tail is sensitive, what

Customer Question

my cat's back, close to the tail is sensitive, what could be wrong?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

There are various possibilities with a symptom as you describe. Your cat may have injured himself in that area, he may have an irritation or other skin condition, or he may have a condition called feline hyperesthesia (rolling skin syndrome), which causes high sensitivity in the back area, especially near the base of the tail. However, feline hyperesthesia carries other symptoms, like your cat being unusually aggressive, trying to catch his tail or bite his back area and acting as if he's angry at it, dilated pupils, and some others. For a full description of this condition, please see:

http://www.purelypets.com/articles/felinehyperesthesia.htm

As you can see, this condition is likened to seizures because it affects the same electrical centers in the brain, and it is controllable with medication. Your cat may not have this condition, but due to his symptom, I would definitely recommend a vet visit ASAP, to find the cause of his sensitivity in this region of his back.

I hope he will be fine!

Cher