Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257
Cat

Spay incision is becoming infected, what home remedies

I took my 1 year... Show More
I took my 1 year old cat Louis to get spayed three days ago and now the wound is becoming infected. She licks it all the time so I am getting her a cone, but I can't afford to take her to the vet again. She has had two litters of kittens, moves without showing any pain, plays normally, passes waste normally, and I have seen her eat and drink. The wound is pinkish but not red, and slight discharge that smells strange but not powerfully disgusting is coming from the incision. The stitches are still in. I need to know a home remedy for taking care of the infection. Will washing the wound with unscented, gentle soap and water help? Can I use Neosporin on a cat? And when should I absolutely take her to the vet?

Thanks!
*Krystyna

You should see the vet with her if you see redness, discharge, weeping, discolored fluid, or an odor.

The only thing you can do for her at home is wash the wound well with some betadine or peroxide. Then dry it completely. Then you can apply some neosporin ointment.

But don't hesitate to see your vet if this does not begin to improve right away.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Okay. Her wound is weeping slightly, and a little red but not angry red. She isn't very sensitive in the area, and the discharge is whitish with a relatively slight odor BUT there is an odor. Should I get the cone so she can't lick her wound or the neosporin?
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
I also have two other cats, males about four months old who play with her and try to mount her

Yes. You definitely need a cone.

Go ahead and neuter those boys so that you can get some sleep! :-))

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Thank you so much! If she gets worse or stops eating I'll be sure to take her to the vet. They boys will be a little less... playful... come a few more paychecks... hehehe....

Thanks again!

*Krystyna