Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cats whiskers seem to be breaking or falling out and the ...

Customer Question

My cats whiskers seem to be breaking or falling out and the ends are all split....Help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.
How old is your cat? Does it go outdoors at all? Do you have any other kittys besides this one? What food do you feed?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: 8 months
It goes outside sometimes,never leaves the yard..mostly an indoor other cats...just a XXXXX XXXXX dog...He eats IAMS...please help...
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.

I don't think this is anything serious to worry about. Young cats and kittens play rough and tend to damage their wiskers more often than mature cats do - however, with that being said, your kitty's whiskers should be at least as long as his face is wide (unless he is a hairless or curly coated breed). In other words, the tips of the whisker should extend to the edge of his cheeks.

Sometimes (rarely), broken and split whiskers can be an indication of poor nutrition or health problems. You are feeding a good diet, so that is not a problem. He may have worms that would prevent him from absorbing nutrients from his food, though, so having your vet give him a checkup would be worth the cost - if for no other reason than to set your mind at ease. In all likelihood, he is just fine, but even having the vet examine a stool sample may prove beneficial.

Please let me know if I can help further.