Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My cat vomits bile but the colour is pinkish

Customer Question

She can be vomiting 3 to 5 days in a row usually undigested food and then be ok for a few weeks, than she starts vomiting bile and then sometimes the colour is light pink. She does that for one day, then it stops, then she can be ok for a week or 2 then it happens again, she is 11 years old, female abyssinian
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

What type of food do you feed her?

How long has this been going on?

Does she have episodes of diarrhea as well?

Has any medications ever been tried?

Does she continue to eat even when she is having these episodes?

Is there ever any hair in the vomit?

Thank you

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Here are the answers:
1) Hill's Prescription Diet Feline WD
2) The vomiting is on and off, it has been going on for I would say 2 years but the pinkish color in the bile is only since 2 or 3 weeks
3) No diarrhea ever
4) No medications
5) yes she eats
6) Sometimes hair so I give her hairball remedy occasionally
BY the way she just did it again and this time it's darker pink

She is a very emotional and dependent little cat, always requiring attention and very vocal when I don't comply. So I'm thinking maybe its nerves too
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

I feel that your girl may have inflammatory bowel disorder. Stress definitely can be a factor as well as diet and allergies. I suspect the vet has put her on the w/d to help with her vomiting. I would consider switching this over to a low allergen diet like Hills Z/D. Cats can be sensitive or even allergic to a component in their food like chicken, beef, wheat, or corn. Removing some of the offending allergens helps to reduce the inflammatory response. Sometimes there is no cause found to this disorder but minimizing as much as possible and reducing stress has been proven to help. Many cats also need prednisone during flare ups and some need to go on this on a more long term basis to keep the inflammation down. Hopefully, we will not have to go this route. The pinkish color is very possible blood as a result of irritation to the lining of her stomach from vomiting or possibly the coloring in a snack or treat. I recommend giving her 1/4 pepcid daily to help settle her stomach.

Diagnositic tests would be an xray of the abdomen to look for thickened intestines, bloodwork to rule out hyperthyroidism (common in a cat this age) and to rule out other underlying illness like kidney and liver disease and if you want to go so far or if she does not improve potentially endoscopy for a biopsy of the stomach.

At the very least I would recommend the bloodwork to rule out hyperthyroidism and kidney disease.

Here is a link on inflammatory bowel disease and potential causes and treatments.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience: 19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much Theresa, one last question, when you say 1/4 Pepcid, do you mean the Human medication Pepcid? Please confirm
Thanks
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.

Yes, this is the human pepcid.

Theresa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the detailed answer, in a way you have re-assured me I will follow your advice and check on her symptoms.