Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

Why does my cat hack and what can I do

My cat recently groomed herself aggressively after I took the cone off her head for a few minutes (she was spayed two days before), and during the course of grooming suddenly hacked/coughed. Ever since then (1 day) she has a very loud purr and sometimes her breathing sounds like a rattle/purr, and she'll hack/cough every now and then. Prior, she had a quiet purr and normal breathing with no hacking. Could she possibly have a hair ball or fur hung in in her throat from grooming? Could this affect her purring? Or could it be something else as a result of the grooming? Is this serious, or is there something I can do to help her? (Also, FYI, she's FeL+)

You indicated that she recently was spayed. This could be for a couple of reasons. It could be from hairballs. You can add a couple of spoons of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling to her food every day. This will help prevent hairballs and also keep her regulated with her potty habits and prevent constipation. Second, when they spay a cat, a tub for breathing is inserted into their throat. This is an irritant, and they may have bruised her throat or vocal cords with the intubation. If she is still doing this in another few days and hasn't produced a hairball, I believe she needs to see the vet. Let them know that you were advised it could be a result of her intubation during her surgery.

Please let me know if I can assist further.