Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 years working, treating and loving small and exotic big cats, 5 yrs as an animal control officer

Two of my cats nipples are hard and crusty. they

Two of my cat's nipples are hard and crusty. they look slightly inverted compared to the others, and have a black ring around them. She is about 7 months old. Is this something I should be worried about? She also has pretty oily fur, and lately has had very strong vaginal oder. Is that normal? Her sister from the same litter has non of these symptoms.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Animal Eyes replied 9 years ago.
Has she been spayed yet?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Animal Eyes's Post: No she hasn't
Ok. The inverted nipples aren't really a problem but the smell that you have noticed may be due to a couple of things. She may be in heat or she may be developing an infected uterus. Both can be resolved by having her spayed. If you choose not to spay her you increase her risk of developing mammary tumors or an infected uterus which is also called a pyometra when she is older. Both can be life threatening. It is also possible that she is developing a urinary infection and that is where the smell is coming from. If you are not planning on breeding her then it would be best for her to have her spayed soon.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what about the part about her nipples being hard and crusty. the black ring around them looks questionable.
This is not uncommon and you may find that the black ring is just debris that has accumulated. It she is in heat or close to it you may notice some hardness and fluid on or around then. With them being inverted, it is harder for her to clean them as she normally would.