Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

I have noticed small seed-like things coming off of my cat ...

I have noticed small seed-like things coming off of my cat when she scratches. They are similar to sesame seed in size and color. I have found no fleas on her (she is an indoor cat). Also, I occasionally find small bites on myself, but I never see anything biting me. Is there a bug that my cat may have that I cannot see? If so, how do I treat her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Can you look through her coat and tell me if you see anything that appears similar to pepper on her skin?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: no, not that I can see.
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

What you are seeing on your cat are the contents of proglottid segments of tapeworms. Basically, these segments break off and look somewhat like grains of rice. Left alone, they dry up, take on a 'golden' hue and break open and spill out up to 30 sesame seed type eggs into the environment-in this case her coat. Tapeworms are transmitted to your pet through ingestion of fleas that are carrying eggs. You are probably being bitten by these critters. Even if you don't see fleas on your pet, it doesn't mean they aren't there. Cats that are allergic to flea bites are extremely adept at removing them from their bodies and fleas can come into the hme on clothing and shoes and they then transfer to your pet. I would treat your cat first with Frontline, Revolution or Advantage. You then need to get a tapeworm treatment from your vet and treat your girl. This will take care of the problem.

You can also bathe your kitty in a shampoo called Goodwinol Rotenone Shampoo. It can be purchased at many pet supply stores or online at www.revivalanimal.com. This shampoo will kill mites which are the other parasite that cats can get that sometimes affect humans. You need to either do the Goodwinol 3 days before the Fronline or a week after so as to not interfer with the efficiency of the shampoo.

Please let me know if I can help further.