Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

I found a fairly large lump in my cats chest. its ...

Customer Question

I found a fairly large lump in my cats chest. it's firm about 3" in diameter and doesn't hurt he when i squeze it. She is 11yrs old and is eating o.k. and is playful.
Thanks
Tim
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
Any time you find a lump on you or your pet, it needs to be seen by a doctor. This may be nothing more than a fatty cyst, but your vet needs to biopsy it and determine that there is nothing wrong. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you to ignore it that it is nothing, so please take your baby into the vet so they can check and see what is going on and give her a clean bill of health!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Altough I appreciate your quick reply I respecfully ask that you don't charge me $9.00 to tell ne to take my cat to the vet.
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
You aren't required to accept any answer that our experts provide. It really is impossible to guess what this lump could be without having it biopsied. Anyone who gives you an answer other than that would either have a very lucky guess, lure you into a false sense of security or throw you into a total panic - depending on what answer they give you. What additional information can I provide that would make the answer acceptable to you? I am more than willing to assist to the best of my ability.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it's fatty tissue does one just leave it alone or does it cause a problem?
If it's cancer are we talking about costs of generaly over $500.00 for tratment
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.
A fatty tumor would just be left alone in my opinion. At your cat's age, I believe it would be far riskier to put her under anesthesia and the stress of surgery than leaving a benign growth alone. An oncologist would be able to provide more information as to cancerous growths. To have a biopsy performed by your regular vet would be under $100 I would imagine, and probably quite a bit less than that. Your regular vet may be able to tell without sending a tissue sample off if the growth is benign or not. Some things are quite obvious - if he is able to draw fluid off the growth, it is more than likely a cyst that may need to be drained from time to time and can just be monitored. A needle biopsy isn't invasive and your kitty won't even need anesthesia, so this is the route I would take initially if it is possible.