Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat has a fecal ball. we had him to the vet 1 mo. ago, ...

my cat has a fecal ball. we had him to the vet 1 mo. ago, emema..cleaned him out now on hills wd. can i try to remove the fecal ball myself now or get him to the vet in the AM?

how old is Chewie?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
11 yrs

Dear friend,

Do not attempt to give Chewie an enema at home because one kitty jerk and he will have a ruptured bowel. Instead give him two ounces of milk. It should produce a BM in less then two hours. You can give some every day until Chewie is regular.He should also eat canned food with water added to insure a proper fluid balance in his colon.You can also give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte to keep him hydrated.

Please let me know how he is doing.I will be here till midnight and happy to help further.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I will try the milk, but another of our cats drinks milk often, so I don't know if it will be like a laxative. the mass at the anal area seems hard, but we only felt it recently
If it is really hard and impacted he may need to see a vet this time and go on daily milk maintenance.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do you think he can wait till the Morning before we take him?

when was his last BM and when did he eat last?

does he seem in pain or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: last BM...Hard to say we have 3 cats...he was eating on and off today, dry food. His butt is painful to the touch, he is trying to use the litter box with no success

Dear friend,

Here is the problem.Chewis is 11 years old and cannot tolerate stress.He is already in pain and retained stool can become toxic and poison his system so al I can tell you is based on these facts if Chewie were my boy I would have him seen ASAP so he could get relief. After that you can begin the daily milk maintenence therapy and also give him cannned so he gets more fluid in his bowels.

Please let me know how he is.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok, we'll let you know, thanks for the quick response.
How is Chewie today?