Dr. Olivia
Dr. Olivia, Feline-Exclusive Veterinarian
Experience:  10 yrs experience in animal care/vet fields. Special interests in behavior and geriatrics.

My cat is drooling a clear thick saliva, like a runny nose, ...

My cat is drooling a clear thick saliva, like a runny nose, but it is coming from his mouth. This is the first day he has had this. He is about 10 years old and is a house cat. I don't see any other symptoms up til now.
Your cat may have a problem with his teeth. Cats are prone to dental disease, and they often do not show any obvious signs until it becomes painful for them. Please have him seen by a veterinarian so that his teeth can be evaluated and he can receive treatment. Especially at his age, having dental problems can cause problems with the heart and kidneys as well.

Other possible causes of drooling include a liver problem, an insect bite, or ingestion of some sort of toxic plant material. Please make an appointment to see your vet tomorrow if possible.

If he stops eating, vomits, has diarrhea or you notice any difficulty with his breathing, take him to an emergency vet tonight.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,

Dr. Olivia