Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

How can you tell if your cat has a head injury My cat hit ...

How can you tell if your cat has a head injury? My cat hit his head very hard. He ran away afterward and is hiding under the bed. Now about 15 minutes later, he is now very skiddish, especially around the area where he hit his head. I did offer him a treat and he ate it. Though I tried to play his favorite game with the laser and he was not interested. He is back under the bed lying down.

How old is your cat?

What did he bang his head into?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He is 3. He actually banged his head on my chin. He was under a blanket and I scarred him, he jumped up and we banged. I felt the impact of this and it was hard. My chin is very soar, so I assume his head is as well. ??
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information.

The cat's skull is pretty hard, but it's always difficult to tell if there's been any serious damage unless the vet evaluates him. I assume it was the top of his head which met your chin? If he's hiding, he's most likely frightened from the whole experience, but cats also hide when they're in pain. If he's sleeping, just make sure he's sleeping as he normally does and is responsive to you and any noises around him. Don't try to play with any toys tonight; the laser pointer may irritate him if he has a headache or his eyes are bothering him from the 'clash'.

It would be better if he were out in the open where you can monitor him, but keep offering him food and if he takes it, he's not feeling too badly. If you see any bleeding into his eyes from the top of the eyeball or if he seems to be walking like he's dizzy, his eyes are constantly dilated, or he stops eating, bring him to a vet ER center nearby, if you have one. If not, monitor him throughout the night, as you have been, and bring him to your vet first thing in the morning for a neurological exam, just to make sure he didn't do any serious damage. He's most likely more frightened than hurt, but you'd like to make sure of this.

Good luck! Please let me know how he's doing tom'w. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. He actually just came out and is eating a little snack from his food bowl. I did see his eyes were quite dialited, so I will keep an eye on that. But he is eating and reacting to me and sounds.
I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
You're very welcome! I'm glad he came out to eat and, yes, keep an watch on his eyes. I'll look forward to your update. Thanks very much for your 'accept'!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am happy to report that he is back to normal this morning! Thanks again.
Thanks so much for your update, with this great news! Have a great holiday!

Cher   : )