Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

cat: just got spayed..She came home yesterday..cough..hairball

Customer Question

My cat just got spayed on Wednesday javascript:%20GetAnswersFast()afternoon. She came home yesterday but did not eat all day and has been gagging as if to cough a hairball and struggling to swallow. I tried to give her water and tuna fish juice with a eyedropper. She took a little of the juice but rejected it when I tried water and later more tuna juice.
She has just been lying around mostly. She does get up every once and a while and cleans herself. I will bring her to the vet tommorow to get checked because no one is in the office today. What do you think this might be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

It is advisable to have your girl seen by a totally diffferent vet office than the one that did the procedure. Many times the cats throat, mouth or esophogus is injured by improper removal of the trach tube and the owner is not informed. These cats cannot eat and they eventually sicken and die from infection or anorexia. It is much to long for your girl to have not eaten. She is already in danger of liver failure soplease have her seen ASAP.If this has occured,she can be helped but she needs antibiotics and steroids to recover.

Please let me know how she is and if you still have questions.I will help in any way possible,

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a feeling that this might be the case. I went to a very reputable cat clinic in Brooklyn. They do procedures like this ALL the time. I find it hard to believe they would be so careless.
I was worried that they scratched her throat when they intubated her during surgery. I have an apt tomorrow in the morning. Do you think that I could wait till morning or do you think this is an emergency. What can I do in the meantime to make sure she sustains herself. Forcing her to eat might be detrimental no? I'm so worried.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

Since she has not eatensince before the surgery and she needs medication I think she should be seen ASAP. If you force her , she may aspirate somthing into her lungs and get pneumonia. It is unfortunate that sometimes techs are allowed to intubate and mistakes are made very often. All I can tell you is if she were my girl, I woulld have her seen tonight and not by the office that did the procedure.Her throat may only be irritated from the tube but it is always better to err on the side of caution with a belved pet because you can never turn back the clock.

If you do give her anything use unflavored pedilyte - very slowly - only one cc droppere every ten minutes for an hour.See if she wil lick the gravy from a canned cat food,

Please get back to me and let me know how she is. I will be here til midnight waiting to hear from you.Let me know if you stil have questions now.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

I am sooo glad you went and she is OK - I was really worried but I did not want to scare you. Keep me posted.If you need anything - I will always be here for you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank You so much. I really appreciate it. It was exactly the information I needed to make the right decision! Well worth the money! Neko and I thank you. She ate her food and is feeling much better now.