Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 12 years

how to treat burns on cat paws

Customer Question

my cat has a burn on his paw and i cant get to the vet so i want to know what i can do to help
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Smith replied 9 years ago.

Hi Ms Jerzey,

If your pet truly has a confirmed burn ( you saw it happen), than you can help your pet by giving it one 81 mg aspirin every 72 hours ( just ONE every 3rd day) and you can pick up some Silvasulfadine ointment at your neighborhood pharmacy along with some dressing materials.

You need to apply the silvasulfadine to the injured area of the paw and apply a light bandage dressing to prevent your pet from injuring the pad any further while walking. You must wrap the bandage gently being sure that it is not too tight, and you must use bandage tape to apply it to the leg so that it does not slip off!!

The bandage should be changed daily and the wound treated .

Ideally, burns should be treated by a vet. We typically place the pet on antibiotics to protect the burn from infection and we can generally administer antiinflammatories and pain meds to keep your pet comfortable during the healing period. If at all possible, I would recommend taking your pet to the vet....or finding a MOBILE vet that can come to YOU!!

In the offset chance that you "think" this is a burn and it is not, it could very well be a tumor of the footpad or a severe inflammatory reaction that cats can get and do require aggressive medical intervention.

Please remember to press "ACCEPT" upon reading this answer. I appreciate your trust in my professional knowledge and clinical experience. Please remember to leave feedback, as feedback affects my ratings and earnings.

Best Wishes to You and Your Pet!
Dr. Jodi L. Smith