Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

does ammonia hurt cats

Customer Question

My mother in law is spraying ammonia where she doesn't want my cats to go. I want to make sure she's not doing anything to hurt my cats. I couldn't find anything that says it's harmful to cats, just that their urine has ammonia in it.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Well, to be honest, she is defeating the purpose of what she is trying to do. Ammonia will attract cats, not repell them. To a cat, ammonia or bleach smells like urine and they will continue to go where they smell the odor.

If she is trying to keep them out of a certain area outdoors, she would be better off getting a motion activated sprinkler system

http://www.greentouchirrigation.com/scarecrow.html

these are very effective and safe for all animals.

Please let me know if I can help further.