Tammy
Tammy, Consultant
Experience:  Animal Care giver 30+ years (Horses, Cats, Dogs, Hamsters)
1580267

What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis in cats How ...

Customer Question

What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis in cats? How should I treat it? How long should it last? My kitty was vomiting and I think that has stopped. He is eating a little boiled chicken and drinking the broth, but seems to feel worse after he eats. It seems like food or liquid makes him feel worse. He is very lethargic. The vet thinks it is gastroenteritis, but he has been sick for over a week and he is getting weaker.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy replied 10 years ago.

Hello Tahoe Pilot,

Thank you for sending your question to Just Answer!

Wish I was there in Tahoe!! Sorry to hear your cat is not feeling well.

These are a few of the symptoms to watch for:

• A continuation or worsening of signs (greater than several days)
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Depression
  • Listlessness (Lethargic)
  • Blood in vomit or stool
  • It is very important that you are able to keep your cat eating and drinking. If not, I would strongly suggest you take him back to your vet, as dehydration is serious and one of the symptoms of gastroenteritis.

Hopefully, you cat will continue to eat the boiled chicken and drink.

This is an excellent web site that gives you additional information regarding gastroenteritis in cats regarding how to treat it and how long it will last.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/gastroenteritis-in-cats/page1.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need further information, please feel free to contact me.

***If this answer was helpful, please go ahead and click ACCEPT so I may receive credit for answering your question. A BONUS and FEEDBACK are also welcome too! Thank you, Tammy (JustAskTammy)***