Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats stomach is making loud gurgling noises and I think ...

My cats stomach is making loud gurgling noises and I think he sometimes passes gas. He won't sleep with me at night anymore but has not become solitary during the day. He vomits occasionally, but nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes he vomits food and sometimes it's clear liquid. He's eating, drinking and voiding normally. I changed his canned food recently (to fancy feast) because he suddenly wouldn't eat the other canned food that he had been eating for years. I concerned about the stomach noises.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 10 years ago.

How old is your boy?

what was the prior canned food?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: He is 12 and the other food was Whiskas poultry choice cuts. I switched to fancy feast because he loves it and I knew he would eat it. He's eating the same amount of dry food which has also been changed to Fancy Feast. I can't remember the brand, just a generic indoor formula
Expert:  Terri replied 10 years ago.

Dear friend,

Intestinal gas is vey comon in older cats because their digestion is not as effective as when they are younger. They also do not chew as well as they used to. Give your boy a teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. That contains acidopholus and will keep "good" bacteria in his colon which will control excess gas. If he will not eat it or it is not strong enough you can get a probiotic for cats in liquid form at a human health food store.

At his age, feed him whatever he loves and will eat so his caloric intake does not change. Most cats (mine included) are crazy about fancy feast.If he is not ovwrweight you can give him dry food for kittens as the pieces are smaller and easier to chew.

Please let me know how he is doing and if you still have questions. I will help in any way possible.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri