Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Is it safe for cats to eat a pat of butter or margarine on a daily bas

I once gave my cat a pat of butter just to see if he would eat it, and he did. Now, every morning, he expects me to give him a pat of butter. I sometimes give him a pat of margerine instead of a pat of butter. He loves it too, but prefers the taste of real butter. Is there any danger to him eating a pat of butter or margarine every morning?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.

A pat of butter (or margarine, which has hydrogenated oils that are not healthy) on a daily basis, is not good for your cat. If you got him into this habit unintentionally, I'd try to wean him off it, by giving him a very small 'dot' of butter for a few days, and then just wipe your clean finger across the pat of butter and offer him your finger to lick. If this doesn't satisfy him, try to redirect his attention to his own food bowl, a healthy cat treat (if he gets them), or a toy like the laser pointer.